WHAT IS ZONTA INTERNATIONAL?
Zonta International is a world-wide service organization of executives in business and the professions working to improve the legal, political and economic status of women. Zontians serve both international and local communities through advocacy and service.
Founded in 1919 in Buffalo, New York. Zonta International has more than 30,000 members in 31 districts around the world. Zonta offers its members service, networking and fellowship, diversity, leadership, advancement, education, and international interaction.
Zonta plays an important role at the United Nations and currently holds Non-Governmental Organizational status. In addition, Zonta has been granted Consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council, UNICEF, the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, the International Labour Organization, and with the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM). Like Zonta, UNIFEM recognizes the importance of focusing attention on the activities and roles of women which are critical to sustainable development.
Financially, Zonta contributes to UNIFEM to fund women’s self-help projects. These projects have focused on providing labour-saving appropriate technologies, vocational training, and credit to enhance women’s roles as farmers, entrepreneurs, managers and technicians.
“Zontians” volunteer their time, talents, and support to local and international service projects to help advance the status of women worldwide. Zonta International, its districts and its clubs are non-sectarian and nonpartisan.
- To improve the legal, political, economic, educational, health and professional status of women at the global and local level through service and advocacy.
- To work for the advancement of understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of members.
- To promote justice and universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- To be united internationally to foster high ethical standards, to implement service programs, and to provide mutual support and fellowship for members who serve their communities, their nations and the world.
- Zonta International, its districts and its clubs are non-sectarian and nonpartisan.