SHARED SHELF BOOK CLUB
The Zonta Club of Niagara Falls, Canada started a local book meet up for Our Shared Shelf, an online feminist book club that was founded by UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson and the books were chosen by the Shared Shelf organizer. We would meet every two months. It has since evolved to our club members choosing the book and meeting on a more regular basis, often monthly. Initially we would meet at a club member’s home, but like everything else it has been affected by COVID-19 where we meet online through Zoom.
Past books include:
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- The Things I Would Tell You: British Muslim Women Write
- I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts On Being a Woman by Nora Ephron
- Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
- Up and Down by Terry Fallis
- All of Us in Our Own Lives by Manjushree Thapa
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- Butterfly: From Refugee to Olympian by Yusra Mardini
- The Underground Girls of Kabul by Jenny Nordberg
- Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars: A Dangerous Trans Girl’s Confabulous Memoir
We have fun too! Every summer we have a summer social where we get together for friendship and fun. It is usually hosted at a member’s home and we share potluck dinner along with refreshments. Sometimes we can take a dip in the pool as well!
Our December meeting is 90% social with maybe 10% business. We host it at a member’s home again, where we celebrate the upcoming holiday, spoil each other with gifts, enjoy delicious pot luck and raise funds for our general fund.